Hello dear candidates to MISS & MR SL ♛ YoungStar 2018.
The Grand Finale is close, and we are sure you all are busy in the preparations for your final outfits. With this post we want to provide you with some information about the Grand Finale and the challenges within. Please read the details below carefully and let us know, if you have any question.
The Title Costume challenge
The Title Costume challenge is to understand similar as the National Costume challenges in the MISS SL and MR SL pageants. While you are not assigned to a country, you have received a title to represent a fictional place of your choice at the begin of the pageant. The challenge is to style an outfit, that represents your place in some way. This can be to highlight specialties about your fictional places, i.e. perhaps the people in your fictional place would wear a certain traditional clothing or style in ways that are apart of our reality. Another example I use to give is a simple one, but it very much explains the Title Costume challenge:
MISS or MR SL ♛ Hogwarts
They would likely style an outfit as magician student, maybe resembling one of the characters in the Harry Potter films somehow. However, they will not copy the entire character, but just use elements to support the resemblance, while maintaining their own avatars unique look. Certain accessory will help to tell the place’s story, what it is about, in this case it likely would be a magic wand, a long cloak or maybe a magician hat.
The possibilities to style for a title costume are infinite. Due to the individuality of each fictional place you have chosen for your titles, as they originate from literature, music and movies, it’s impossible to set requirements for your styling. Important is, that you keep in mind, that many in the audience, and the judges, possibly know about the place your title is about. Perhaps they are even fans of the particular book, movie or song. Tell the story of your place in your outfit, make it a fabulous and unique styling, no one else has done before. Doing so, please keep in mind to attach accessory properly, to choose fitting clothing and to be careful with your poses, not to break or distort mesh. On the other hand, don’t be to safe with your poses, you are meant to tell a story, after all. You require a walk, a default pose and a pose set for about 40 – 60 seconds for this challenge.
In your styling description for this challenge, explain in short, where your title’s fictional place originates from and why you chose it, why it is special to you. Please highlight in your description the elements of your styling, which are significant for the place you are representing.
The City challenge
As we have announced to you already, the Grand Finale show is all set to be themed around the eternal city, Rome. La Dolce Vita was a film by Federico Fellini in 1960, which would define the perception of Italy and the city Rome’s lifestyle for decades. The sweet life, literally translated, is what everyone dreams of, when thinking about spending time in the European capital of history and arts. Before Fellini’s film Rome was already the hotspot of lifestyle, high society, fashion enthusiasts. It’s been, and still is, the place to spend the hottest summer in the glamour of the old palaces, the atmosphere of the ancient ruins or simply in one of the many gelaterias and coffee shops to enjoy the best ice cream or finest espresso. For the city challenge in our Grand Finale, we will travel to Rome, and travel back in time, to the time Fellini’s masterpiece of film is set in, the end of the 50’s and begin of the 60’s of the last century. But the challenge has more to it, please read the details below carefully:
• Please research for Fashion of the end of the 50’s and begin of the 60’s. Style a summer casual chic outfit, as if you were a tourist in Rome, in the late 50’s or begin of the 60’s. Your styling needs to be for visiting Rome in July or August, which are usually the hottest months in Rome.
• While styling, please consider as a tourist visiting one or more of the many churches in Rome, you are required to follow the strict rules about appropriate clothing in a church. The skirts and pants should not be to short and your shoulders covered.
• For your outfits clothing, you have two options of colors, you can choose from: a) your clothing contains of Green, White and Red, to represent the Italian flag. The three colors should be relatively equally present in your clothing. b) your clothing contains of Red and Yellow, to represent the colors of the city of Rome. Red would be the main color, while Yellow is an accent color. Accessory don’t count for colors in both options. Both options cannot get mixed together and no other color is allowed.
• Please style your outfit with accessories, that are usual for tourists, i.e. cameras, sunglasses etc. When choosing your accessory, please consider the time. There have not been mobiles or hand held video cameras in the 60’s yet. Please refrain from cigarettes or other smoking accessory. If you want to wear an hat, please make sure the hat does not cover your face.
• Please prepare a walk, a default pose and a pose set for about 40 – 60 seconds to present your styling best. We may suggest you, to try a 360° turn, but it is not a requirement.
• In your styling description explain please, what thoughts or perhaps even emotions you have for Rome and which places you’d like to visit with your outfit. Please limit your description to a few places only, Rome is to rich of places to see, to actually list them all.
We wish you much fun for this particular challenge and look forward to see your styling ideas.
The Formal Challenge
The formal challenge in a Grand Finale is the very final appearance for you as participating candidate in a pageant. You will want to wear the finest gown or tuxedo available. We are aware that the choices for teen avatars may be limited, but please don’t panic about a custom creation. While custom gowns are nothing unusual for the ‘big’ pageants, you did not have the time to request a gown or custom outfit in the short time the YoungStar pageant lasts. As you are required to choose from existing designs, we may still suggest you to style the outfit in a unique way, perhaps by adding elements, mixing and matching different outfits from different designers and by adding elegant and luxury accessory. Please keep in mind, not to wear a crown or tiara, at all.
Please prepare an appropriate, elegant walk for your formal outfit, an appropriate default pose and a pose set for about 40-60 seconds. Please write in your description, why you have joined the MISS & MR SL YoungStar ♛ 2018 pageant and your experience so far.
During the rehearsals on Friday, July 27th, you will receive a question, which we ask you to formulate an answer to. The answer you will shout during the formal challenge.
The Question & Answer rounds
If you are selected to be in the Top 5 or Top 3, you will participate in the Question & Answer rounds. In this rounds, you will be asked an individual question by a randomly selected judge. While you have time to formulate your answer, you will need to provide the answer live on stage. Please make sure to have an interpreter available for you, if you require translation. The interpreter is not required to be present at the Grand Finale venue, but to be available for you, somehow. The question and answers are given by shouting into local chat.
Deadlines and other things…
You will receive a notecard with the walk order for all three challenges, the VPC code and other information on Thursday, July 26th, during the late evening SLT.
Rehearsals are scheduled for Friday, July 27th at 10:00 a.m. and 05:00 p.m. SLT. It is mandatory to participate in one of the both rehearsals, to be eligible to walk in the Grand Finale.
All three styling descriptions need to be submit and received until Friday, July 27th at 12:00 p.m. SLT. Please make sure to submit your styling description only, when you are sure to have finished your styling. We will not accept any changes for your styling description after this deadline.
On the day of the Grand Finale, Saturday, July 28th, you are required to arrive backstage at 09.15 a.m. SLT latest.
The Grand Finale of the MISS & MR SL YoungStar ♛ 2018 pageant is scheduled to begin on Saturday, July 28th, at 10:00 a.m. SLT and is open for public audience. At the end of the Question & Answer rounds we will crown the newly selected MISS SL YoungStar 2018 and MR SL ♛ YoungStar 2018.
From the bottom of my heart, I wish you all the very best for the challenges and the Grand Finale. I thank you for your trust in MISS SL Organization and your patience with us. Please remember my words, the Grand Finale is an exciting event, full of emotions for everyone, but it is not the end of our journey, but perhaps just the begin. As much as you like. My team and I look forward to see you in the Grand Finale on Saturday for a fabulous celebration of Beauty, Creativity and Talent, MISS & MR SL ♛ YoungStar 2018.